Finding great, scenic dog walking routes in Oak Park is something we’re always sniffing around for. While Sherlock’s nose is to the ground (searching for squirrel clues, of course!), it’s a treat for parents to take in such sights as unique architecture, local history, or beautiful natural landscapes. Our paws have done some walkin’, so we’ve compiled a list of our favorite routes across town for you and your pups to check out!
- Elizabeth Court: Our Pet Sitters love to walk down Elizabeth Court, that short windy street between Forest and Kenilworth off of Erie. It’s a beautiful, quiet street with the added reward of enormous gorgeous houses at the other end on Kenilworth.
- Austin Gardens Park: Our Pet Sitter, Stephanie, takes Cooper for a walk starting at Superior Street and Forest Avenue and heads south down Forest Avenue and ends by Austin Gardens Park. This is a great route to take because you see some of the most beautiful houses. It’s also a tourist hot spot: she always sees people on Frank Loyd Wright tours taking pictures of the houses! A block north of Superior Street and Forest Avenue is the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio which is very awesome to see.
- Thatcher in River Forest: Our Pet Sitter, Christy, loves walking Kelly & Keiko down Thatcher, watching Thatcher Woods change throughout the seasons, and of course spotting the occasional wildlife!!
Meet our featured Oak Park pet sitting superstar, Owen! Owen dog walks mostly in Forest Park, where is he B.F.F. (Best Friend’s Friend) to many of your happy pups!
- AKA: Ozone
- My favorite game: Balderdash
- My superpower would be: Telekinesis
- My furry family: My Pharaoh Hound and Lab mix Luca; she’s two years old.
- Life philosophy: We’re all human and we’re each trying to make it in our own way, so respect the unique ways in which one another lives their lives.
Sooo, it’s been raining, huh? Flooded basements, muddy paws, traffic jams, thunderstorms. My, oh my! We are ready for some fun in the sun! And we’re in luck: Memorial Day, the official kick-off to Summer, is near!
We’d love to visit your furry family while you are enjoying the Memorial Day Weekend away from home.
We fill up fast, so act soon! Deadline for Memorial Day Weekend Chicago Pet Care visits is Thursday, May 23.
Keeping your four-legged child bright-eyed and bushy-tailed is of the utmost importance to loving pet parents. At home, you can ensure that your furry baby is happy and healthy through everyday activities, such as:
- Taking long walks on the beach (or sidewalk)
- Giving zillions of belly rubs
- Feeding delicious & nutritious meals
- Falling asleep on the couch together watching Lassie reruns
In addition to the above, it is essential to find a great Oak Park, IL, vet to care for your pet in sickness and in health. We’ve put together a list of some of the best vets in Oak Park to help you get started in your search for Fido’s perfect match!
- Elmwood Grove Animal Hospital: While a little North of where we walk dogs and visit kitties, we sure do love Elmwood Grove! Dr. Fox has been taking care of OUG! dogs and cats for YEARS! Located at 8035 W Grand Ave River Grove, IL, Elmwood Grove Animal Hospital is open Monday – Saturday and can be reached at phone number 708-456-6700.
- PetVets: Our friends at PetVets are amazing! We see them at least three times a week as we host our Play Group in the back of the clinic, located at 342 W. Harrison Oak Park, IL. PetVets is open Monday – Saturday and can be reached at phone number 708-445-9988.
- Carlson Animal Hospital: Right in the heart of Oak Park, many of the dogs and cats we love receive wonderful care here! Located at 414 Lake Street, Oak Park, IL, Carlson Animal Hospital is open Monday – Saturday and can be reached at phone number 708-383-3606.
- River Forest Animal Hospital: You can’t miss this hospital! It is located at 7515 W. Lake Street, River Forest, IL – right by Jewel! Through the years, many Out-U-Go! Pet Sitters have worked at this Hospital too! River Forest Animal Hospital is open Monday – Saturday and can be reached at phone number 708-366-8370.
- The Cat Practice: For those kitties that would rather NOT encounter a dog at the Vet (isn’t getting in the car stressful enough?!?!?) there are The Cat Practice vets in Oak Park! Located at 323 Chicago Ave, Oak Park, IL, The Cat Practice is open Monday – Saturday and can be reached at phone number 708-383-5997.
Best of luck choosing a great veterinarian in Oak Park!
Dog parents understand the importance of finding a great local dog park. Dog parks are a great resource for your furry friend to run to his heart’s content, interact with other dogs, sniff new things, and buddy up to humans in attempts to gain cookies. It is also a great place for pet parents to meet like-minded neighbors and share fur-children stories! We’ve put together a list of the best dog parks in Oak Park, IL, to help you find a spot with the amenities, space, and cookie-dispensing humans that your pup is looking for!
- Maple Park Dog Park: Maple Park Dog Park is a dedicated dog off-leash area located in the Northwest corner of Maple Park (Harlem & Lexington). This new dog park in Oak Park offers 12,000 square feet of crushed granite surface, benches, an electronic entry system, and a water spigot for the pups! Maple Park Dog Park is open from sunrise to sunset.
- Ridgeland Common Dog Park: Located in the Southeast corner of Ridgeland Common Park (Ridgeland & South Blvd), Ridgeland Common Dog Park is about 8,700 square feet. The dog park is open from sunrise to 10pm.
- Dog Park Plus: Dog Park Plus is the total fenced-in area of Ridgeland Common. The entire area includes the above-mentioned Ridgeland Common Dog Park, plus additional fenced park land such as baseball fields and a ski hill. Since these included areas of the greater Ridgeland Common are often in use for other purposes, Dog Park Plus is open select hours only. The hours are infrequent and subject to change, so check out Park District of Oak Park’s Dog Park Information first to see if there’s an upcoming morning your dog can run free in the extended space.
Have fun exploring!
The Oak Park community is so fortunate to have the Animal Care League. To keep this fabulous organization up and running the ACL holds an annual luncheon. This year it will be held at the beautiful Oak Park Country Club, 2001 North Thatcher Avenue in River Grove.
Entertainment will be provided by the Festival Theatre of Oak Park.
Adoptable ACL cats and dogs, a silent and live auction, gift bags, and of course the sumptuous buffet will all be going on!
100% of all monies collected for the luncheon directly benefit the ACL. If you would like to buy some 50/50 raffle tickets, purchase a ticket to the luncheon, or donate an auction item, please contact the ACL at 708-848-8155.
On an Out-U-Go! note, Maverick, Oak Park’s Top Dog Dog was adopted from the ACL on April 16, 2008. Sara, Oak Park’s Top Dog, is so grateful to the ACL for bringing The Mav into her life.
ACL Alum, Maverick
Happy Sweet 15!
Big Hellos, Woofs, Meows, Holas, Shaloms, and Bow Wows to all the Out-U-Go! family members, furry pet parents, and general supporters of the cats, dogs, and critters of the world. My name is David Lipschultz. I’m the president of Out-U-Go!, or in our world the TOP Top Dog. I’m thrilled to announce that 2011 is officially our 15th year in business. It’s been an absolutely amazing 15 years and I can’t say thank you enough to all of our wonderful pet parents, furry friends, and staff who have made it all possible!
When we started way way back in 1996 I had amazing days spent strolling through Oak Park with my furry buddies Callie, Molly, and Hazel to name a few. (Sorry if I’m name dropping). We started with just a 6-foot leash, a forty-pound dog, and a great big dream. Over the years we have been extremely fortunate to grow in to who we are today. Out-U-Go! currently has seven locations throughout Illinois and Colorado and over the years we have accumulated nearly 1,000,000 visits under our collective leashes.
Our fifteenth year promises to be a great one. We look forward to providing many great dog walks, kitty visits, and critter sits. Thanks again to all of you in the Out-U-Go! stratosphere. We couldn’t do it with out you!
Wags & Whiskers,
We’ve got some great news for Oak Park residents! Just found out the Park District is opening a new dog friendly area called the Maple Park Dog Park! It’s going to be a 12,000 square foot dog park with crushed granite surface, benches & a water spigot.
It’s for Oak Park residents only, located at the northwest corner of Maple Park and expected to be open in May. For more information visit www.oakparkparks.com/parks/dogpark/dogparkinformation.htm or call (708)848-9661. It’s going to be open 7 days a week from sunrise to sunset and you must purchase a permit at Ridgeland Common.
Pretty exciting huh? Certainly makes the upcoming Spring and Summer even more inviting! We’re gearing up for Spring Break here in OP/RF/FP and look forward to all of our visits with the furry ones while their Pet Parents are on vacation. Enjoy the rest of your March, we look forward to “pupdating” you on all the Oak Park happenings each month on this blog, Oak Park Pup Date.