Baking a special snack is a great way to treat your four-legged friend this Valentine’s Day. Your fur-baby will love these festive Dog-Friendly Red Velvet Pupcakes!
- 1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup apple sauce (preferably natural without sugar)
- 1/3 cup beet puree or beet juice
- 1-1/2 cup wheat flour (all-purpose white will work, too)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese for frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with 15 baking cups
- In a large bowl, combine honey, oil, apple sauce, beet puree or juice, and egg
- Gradually add flour
- Mix thoroughly
- Spoon mixture into prepared cups
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Let them cool on a rack
- For frosting, add the cottage cheese to a food processor or blender and puree cottage cheese until smooth (30 – 60 seconds)
- Frost and serve!
Yield: 15 cupcakes and wagging tails.
Don’t plan on leftovers (but refrigerate any pupcakes that don’t get gobbled up!).